Sunday, February 5, 2012

Special Feature - Hedley Myers


On July 21, 1947, 17 and just out of Grade 12, I began as an Office Boy in the Stock Controls Dept. of the Maritime Division.  The Wharf office was where the Historic Properties now stand.  I did various gopher jobs and ran the mail there and the Main Office, now known as O’Carroll’s Restaurant

In the mid 50’s our new four story office opened on Barrington Street and I moved up the ladder to stock Control Clerk.  After 15 years in the Accounting Office,  I was transferred to the Sales Dept.  and began my field experience as a domestic Heat Representative out of Dartmouth, supervising Agencies in the area.

In 1962 I went to P.E.I, becoming the General Sales Rep for the western half of the island, residing in Summerside.  Five years later I was transferred to Charlottetown, as the Consumer Rep. for all of P.E.I and the Magdalene Islands. A year later it was back to my home area in the Retail Sales Dept.  with responsibility for the service stations in Dartmouth and area.  My office was in the Royal Bank Building Dartmouth, where a number of newly hired university students had their initial assignment working with me as part of their Sales Trainee Program.  Two trainees that come to mind are David Collins, now V.P. of Wilson’s Fuels and Carl Brown, who stayed with me for almost a year, looking after the home base while I was travelling the Maritimes on a special assignment.

I went with The Comptrollers’ Division in 1974, covering the Atlantic Region as Account Advisor to reduce the Capital tied up in Outstanding Receivables (credit).  After almost 40 years of service, I decided to take advantage of Imperial’s Early Retirement package and officially retired on Dec. 31, 1986.

Helen and I have been richly blessed, with almost 61 years of marriage, producing two sons and a daughter. We are also happy grandparents of seven and great grand-parents of one.  Working for Imperial Oil produced many family benefits. Important to us was the Scholarship program. It paid full tuition for each of our children to Acadia University. Randy and Cleve became professional accountants and now live in Alabama and P.E.I.  In addition, Laura also received the Walter Teagle Fellowship, after she was married and attending Conestoga College in Kitchener, Ontario.

Most of my life I have been involved in music, piano, organ and male vocal choirs, etc. At age 70 I took fiddle lessons and I am now a member of the Dartmouth Fiddlers.  Helen and I enjoyed the music and exercise of Ballroom dancing for many years. Bowling and Curling brought fun into my life, as well. The highlight of mu Curling career was being a member of the rink I 1981 that won the Atlantic Oilmen’s Bonspiel, where a hundred rinks participated.  Other members on the team were my friends Dieter Schroeder, Don Appleby and Eldon Champion. It has been a great life and Imperial was a big part of it.