Friday, October 3, 2008

SPECIAL FEATURE: Hal Rogers

85 years - August 2008

Born in Havelock, New Brunswick.

I began my Imperial Oil career in 1952 in Nova Scotia. My work years covered assignments in N.S., N.B., Nfld.., and Toronto. I retired in the Halifax area in 1985. I always enjoyed selling products, meeting people and problem solving. Traveling "on the road" was special. In those early days working with Imperial Oil meant being a "Pioneer" in the business. To many, the words Imperial Oil also meant "hockey".

Since retirement a good portion of our summer months have been spent at our cottage in Cape Spear, N.B., which will be looking for new owners in the spring of 2009. For Alta, myself and our three daughters, it has been an enjoyable and rewarding experience.

It has been a privilege to have been a supportive member of the Halifax Esso Annuitants Club during the past few years. May the Club continue successfully in the future.

All the best, Hal



SPECIAL FEATURE: E. Alan Spruin

85 years - August 2008

Born in Halifax, Nova Scotia

My career started at the Kempt Road Bulk Plant in Halifax, Nova Scotia in 1942. I retired in October 1982 after 39 years with Imperial Oil.

Following my time at the bulk plant, I moved to the Maritime Regional Office at the corner of Duke and Water Streets, Halifax in the Stock Dept. My Supervisor at the time was Mike Kelly. Following a stint in the Burner Dept. at the Halifax Wharf, I moved into the Office Sales and Service Department and subsequently into Credit and Accounts Department at the Duke and Water Street office and later into the 1190 Barrington Street office.

My final 11 years were spent at the Dartmouth Refinery in the RPMG (Regional Project Management Group).

"The people were the best part of my career - getting to know them; working with them and watching them and their families grow and develop over the years."

Thank you
Al Spruin



SPECIAL FEATURE: Ed Godwin

(Ed was wished an 85th Happy Birthday in the June Newsletter before the Special Feature section started.)

Born in Bedford, Nova Scotia

I graduated from Saint Mary's University with a Bachelor of Commerce - in 1945.

My first job with Imperial Oil in 1946 was keeping track of debits and credits in a daily record book. Then I transferred to a new role as Business and Sales Analyst. I stayed there for the rest of my career - working for the various departments of the company.

I enjoyed working for the company and enjoyed the job. The other most important thing that happened to me early in my career is that I met another Imperial Oil employee who was the most beautiful, delightful woman of my life - Bubbles (Agatha). We celebrated our 61st wedding anniversary on September 27th. We have six children, eight grandchildren and three great grandchildren.

We owned a home in Hudson, near New Port Richey, Florida and spent 20 winters making fond memories and enjoying our friends.

My best memories are of dealing with Imperial Oil people. They were a top notch group - more a family affair. I worked until 1982 - a total of 37 years.

I worked with a lot of great people including Tim Hearn, Stan Miller, Doug Cook and many others too numerous to mention.


Thank you
Ed Godwin